The Purpose of the European Museum Forum
"This network, I would say, now represents a selection of the most progressive museums thinking in Europe…"
- Peter Schieder, President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe in 2002-2004
The EMF is dedicated to promoting innovation in museum practise and encouraging exchange of best practise and ideas across Europe. EMF sees the museum sector as a dynamic forum that stimulates networking to foster exchange of information and good relations between museum professionals and museum volunteers and supporters.
The EMF is a non-profit charity registered in the United Kingdom. It is one of the leading organizations in Europe for developing the public quality of European museums and has established this primary position after 40 years of providing its service. It operates under the auspices of the Council of Europe.
- EMF recognises the value of public engagement of museums and fosters excellence through a scheme of annual awards of which the European Museum of the Year Award and the Council of Europe Museum Prize are the main awards.
- Museums considered for the awards are judged in accordance with clear criteria set by EMF, in a process of independent peer review.
- EMF stimulates networking and develops projects to foster exchange of information and good relations between museum professionals and museum volunteers and supporters.
- EMF works through dialogue and consultation with internationally experienced members of the European museum sector and operates under a system of regular renewal and succession-planning to ensure that the organisation always reflects the needs and aspirations of the contemporary European museum community.